Julien Devernois pastry chef from Lily of the Valley
Under the orders of the chef de cuisine Vincent Maillard, the pastry chef – Julien Devernois – conceives delightful desserts for the 5-star Luxury Hotel: Lily of the Valley. In a magnificient scenery next to Saint-Tropez, the former chef of Byblos Hotel Saint-Tropez, is a true artist whom is really worth.
The right to be a gourmet
In Lily of the Valley’s restaurants, we love good products!
The pastry chef – Julien Devernois – chose to only use premium ingredients: from flour to fruits everything is local, fresh and seasonal. By using local products, the chef highlights his creation for a low carbon footprint and the planet. In the proper way, his recipes are made with precision to the taste of his guests.
Julien Devernois’ recipe
Peach is the summer fruit that everyone gets from the market between June and August!
Four important southern terroirs in France produce peaches. The chef Julien Devernois has selected for us a short circuit product loved by the French. A peach is extremely tasty and healthy! It contains water and minerals. It is perfect to refresh yourself along the sea at Lily of the Valley.
Our pastry chef lets you know about his sugary recipe poached peaches with fennel and star anise. We advise you to substitute sugar by maple syrup or organic honey. You will contribute in saving various ecosystems.
Ingredients for 10 people
- 000g water
- 100g Natsuc or honey
- 17g star anise
- 10g fennel seed
- 40g lemon squeeze
- 10 peaches
- 400g ripped peaches
- ½ vanilla bean
- 125g soy milk
- 80g fenne
- 10g Natsuc or honey
- 2,5g ground fennel
- 125g water
- 20g Natsuc or honey
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1,5 g ground fennel
- 125 g fennel puree
Almond whipped cream:
- 250g almond milk
- 35g vegetal cream
- 20g Natsuc or honey
- 1g agar agar jelly
- 60g roasted almonds
- 500g water
- 180g Natsuc or honey
- 1 fennel
- 3 raw peaches
- 200g fresh almonds
Step 1 – Poached peaches
- Boil the mixture to make the syrup. Leave to infuse for 30 minutes and strain.
- Peel the peaches to remove the skin and put them in iced water.
- Poach the peaches (cook slowly, no boiling).
- The peaches should not be completely soft, they should be a bit firm.
Step 2 – Peaches marmelade
- Coarsely chop the peaches.
- Cook over low heat for a long time so that the water evaporates. It should reduce by 2/3.
- Blend and set aside in a cool place.
Step 3 – Fennel puree and sorbet
- Wash the fennels and cut into small cubes. Cook in milk with Natsuc or honey and ground fennel.
- Skim off the skin that forms.
- Once cooked, blend and pass through a sieve. Remove 125g of fennel puree for the sorbet.
- Heat the water, Natsuc or honey, half a vanilla bean and the ground fennel.
- Boil the mixture and pour over the fennel puree.
- Put in the freezer for 12 hours and then put it in the Thermomix to make a sorbet for a few minutes.
Step 4 – Almond whipped cream
- Heat the almond milk and the vegetal cream and put on the hot roasted almonds. Leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Blend lightly.
- Sieve and top up the weight of the liquid to the same as at the start.
- Bring to the boil and add the sugar and agar agar jelly.
- Boil for 30 seconds and discard.
- Blend once the mixture has set.
- Store in a syphon and gas twice.
Step 5 – Fennel confit
- Wash and cut the fennel into small cubes.
- Boil for 30 seconds in water, drain.
- Make a syrup with the water and the Natsuc.
- Cook the fennel for about 1.5 hours on a very low heat without boiling.
- When it is cooked, the fennel cuts when you press it between your fingers.
Step 6 – Presentation
- Slice the fennel thinly and place the shavings in water with plenty of ice for 15 minutes.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Put peach marmalade on the bottom of the plate, then arrange the poached peach cut into 8 pieces in a Ø80mm circle.
- Add diced fennel confit. In the middle, arrange the finely cut raw peach and make petals.
- Add fresh almonds, peach marmalade, fennel shavings and fennel tops.
- Add the fennel – vanilla sorbet to the plate.
- Put the foam in the small bowl, grate some almond and it’s ready!