Artichoke heart with wild garlic by Nicolas Masse
In his kitchen’s restaurant La Grand’Vigne in Les Sources de Caudalie** located in the middle of Graves’ vineyard, Chef Nicolas Masse is preparing the artichoke into an anti-waste recipe. We find him once again with a healthy and original recipe.
- 1 artichoke
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 glass of White wine
- Water or vegetable stock
- Wild garlic
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
Step 1 – Artichoke cooking
- Break the stem and pull off its leaves.
- With a sharp knife, cut off the green part on the back of the artichoke.
- Cut in half and put aside the inside leaves.
- Peel the onion and cut into cubes.
- Take the garlic clove and crush it without peeling it, which will retain all its taste.
- In a small saucepan, heat a little olive oil over medium heat.
- Sweat the onion and garlic. Then add the artichoke and some olive oil for more fat.
- Wait a few moments then deglaze with white wine.
- Sprinkle with thyme and a few wild garlic leaves. Cover with water or vegetable stock.
- After 15 minutes, check that the artichoke is cooked by sticking a sharp knife into the heart. If it goes in easily, it’s done!
Chef’s Masse tips: For maximum flavour, cool the artichoke in its cooking juice.
Step 2 – Wild garlic butter
It cannot be easier than that!
- Cube the butter.
- Blend it with chopped wild garlic leaves.
Be careful to not over blend as the heat could suppress chlorophyll’s green colour.
Step 3 – Artichoke puree
- Get the cooked artichoke and let the juice reduce.
- Divide it and blend.
- The preparation must be extra smooth.
Step 4 – Finishing touches
- Remove the inedible hay from the preserved part.
- Cut the artichoke into 6 pieces and fry the heart with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Let it brown on the back for about thirty seconds with a pinch of coarse salt and a turn of ground pepper.
- Take the reduced juice, add the wild garlic butter and a turn of the pepper mill.
- Emulsify everything.
Step 5 – Presentation
- Take a soup plate and place the artichoke hearts in a circle.
- Put a spoonful of artichoke puree on each piece.
- Put the wild garlic juice on the bottom of the plate.
- And decorate with a few vegetable shoots.
Do you think the recipe is finished? Not at all! We told you that at Less Saves The Planet, we don’t waste anything. So, let’s keep going!
Step 6 – Stock
- Take the artichoke trimmings and sweat them with a bit of olive oil.
- Then cook them in a pan of water for 35 to 40 minutes.